| More

Sunday 26 August 2012

How can I move from a good graduate job into politics?


On Friday and Monday we publish the problems that will feature in a forthcoming Dear Jeremy advice column in the Guardian Money supplement so that readers can offer their own advice and suggestions. We then print the best of your comments alongside Jeremy's own insights. Here is the latest dilemma – what are your thoughts?
I have always been interested in politics and the third sector, but as I graduated with a middling English degree during the recession, I decided to take the safest course and apply to graduate schemes. I am currently working for a big organisation on a very good salary. I have a large peer group, job security and a lot of training and development. Some rotations are more interesting than others, but it's not an environment in which I ultimately want to work, and I am not happy working here.
How can I make the move to a job in the political sphere that I would enjoy more, and when would the timing be right for me to do so? I have been in my current job for just over a year and the graduate programme is two years long. Would leaving early have any negative repercussions on my CV later on?
I hoped the business experience I am gaining now would stand me in good stead, but the long hours mean I have no time for any extracurricular volunteering, so I am missing out on that side of things. I'm worried I am not qualified in the right ways for a job in politics. Would going back to university to do a masters in politics help, or just be an additional expense?
Source: Guardian.co.uk, Monday 20th August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment