| More

Monday 10 September 2012

90 per cent of University of Lincoln graduates find jobs or continue education within six months

Nine out of ten students who graduate from the University of Lincoln find employment or further education six months after completing their studies.

Thousands of students have made the leap from graduand to graduate, in ceremonies held over the last few days.

And according to the latest figures from the Higher Education Statistics Agency, they are well placed to start the next chapter of their lives.

Ninety-two per cent of Lincoln's graduates should find themselves starting a career path or continuing their education by the end of the year.

This is based on information supplied by 2011's crop of students, which puts Lincoln's employability rate 2 per cent higher than the national average.

Matt Dorrington, 21 from Long Eaton, graduated in biomedical science and has already found work.

He is working as a scientist in the Biobank at the Queen's Medical Centre, in Nottingham, taking care of biopsies which may be needed for research purposes.

Mr Dorrington, who received his upper second class honours degree at his ceremony on Wednesday, September 5, said that the skills he developed undertaking research projects at Lincoln, helped him to achieve his position.

"Medicine is a growing field and there will always be good job prospects," he said.

"It's great that the university is still set to expand even further and I would recommend Lincoln to anyone.

"It was the best decision for me and I wouldn't be doing the job I'm doing if I hadn't chosen my degree."

Another graduate, 21-year- old Alex Back from Boston, has also landed himself a job after achieving a first class honours degree in accountancy and finance.

This month he starts a three-year training contract at accountancy firm Duncan and Toplis with the goal of becoming a chartered accountant.

"My course has provided the necessary degree to meet the entry requirements to apply for the trainee position," he said. "The knowledge and skills that I have gained from my course gave me an advantage in my interview and will be vital in the work place.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Lincoln and it has been a once in a lifetime experience."

And Matt North, 23, who achieved a first class honours degree in audio production, is another graduate making noise after landing a job as a technical operator for Ideal Shopping Direct Ltd, working on the company's live shopping TV channels.

He said: "Without the skills and practices I learnt in audio production I would not have anywhere near enough knowledge to attempt to pursue a career in the industry.

"Considering I started the course knowing virtually nothing, only possessing a passion, I feel like I have learned a huge amount at a very comfortable pace.

"We are the first batch of graduates of this course and I can only see it becoming stronger and stronger. The staff are an incredible resource, as well as the facilities, and I have already recommended friends to study here."

Source: Thisislincolnshire.co.uk, Thursday 6th September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment