| More

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Students come face to face with the jobs market


Every student reaches that anxious moment when their degree ends, and suddenly they have to face the real world.
With one in three graduates in a lower skilled job, the appetite for gap years at an all-time low and the recession showing no sign of receding, students have to be dogged in their quest for jobs in the fiercely competitive graduate market.
A major boon for the undecided student is the graduate fair, where graduates can meet potential employers, research industries they are interested in, and market themselves.
I spoke to students at the the Summer Graduate Fair in London last week. They were just completing their degrees, and I asked them what they thought about gap years and about their plans for the post-graduation future.
edpithie
Ed Pithie, 21, drama and film studies, University of Kent
"I started career planning as soon as I'd handed in my final piece of coursework. There's not that many careers related to drama and film that I really want to do, so I'm thinking of applying for something sales or marketing related – and writing is another interest."
mattc
Matt Caddie, 20, history, University of Kent
"I've really enjoyed my degree subject and think it's been helpful for my career so I am going on to do a masters. I disagree with people who say university isn't 'worth it' anymore, as I definitely couldn't have got a job before uni. After my masters, I'm looking to go into sales and marketing and maybe business management."
louise
Louise Arathoon, 21, physics and philosophy, King's College London
"I've got a place on a postgraduate course but am still unsure if I'm going to take it, so I'm just looking at what other graduate opportunities are out there.
Last year I was ill and couldn't sit my exams, so I was forced to take an impromptu gap year. I think the travelling experience is really important, but then again, if I'd been able to continue my studies and graduate normally, I would have just headed straight into work."
cassie
Cassie Taylor, 22, business management and marketing, Nottingham Trent 
"The modules on my course and the work that I've been doing has helped in interviews, and I spent my placement year with the company GE which was really valuable. The graduate market is tough at the moment. There's a lot of rejection and also uncertainty as to whether the employer has even looked at your application, but it's important to remember that there are still jobs out there."
mohit
Mohit Khanna, 23, finance and business management, University of Bedfordshire
"I don't actually agree with gap years. The market is so tough at the moment that I just think it's important to get out there and look for a job as soon as possible."

Source: Sian Boyle, Guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 6th June 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment